I had my dog ​​vaccinated against rabies, and that’s all that’s been done in the 2 months since I’ve had him. Unfortunately, I decided to relocate her because of my child’s state of health. Can I just create a simple contract for the new owners I give it to, so we can both sign it? That way, in case, God forbid, something happens to the dog, it won’t come back to me, especially since his rabies tag is in my name. What should I do?


Individuals wishing to relocate their animal would ideally have a contract signed by both parties that clearly states that one named person waives all rights to the animal in favor of the other named person. A description of the animal must be included and the agreement must be dated. The microchip, veterinary records (including rabies tag information), dog’s driver’s license and any other proof of ownership must also be changed. The method of modifying records should be discussed with the different entities (veterinarian, microchip company, etc.). The person registered as the owner of an animal must generally give consent before changes are made.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to Legal Requests are not intended to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials contained on this website and any answers to questions are provided for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information it contains, and any answers to questions addressed here are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely on or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Submit your pet legal question now!

Elinor will answer as many questions as possible and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many people ask the same questions. You can find useful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a legal question