Safety Tips for BBQs and Hot Weather

As the summer months approach, our team of licensed veterinary nurses offer you these top tips for hot weather and barbecue safety.

Tips for hot weather:

  • Make sure there is always enough water for your pet to drink.
  • Provide adequate ventilation in enclosed spaces where they may be, whether it is a kennel or a bedroom.
  • Be aware of sidewalk heat. If it’s hot to the touch, it might be painful for your dog to walk on.
  • Beware of the first signs of heat stroke – intense panting, restlessness and lack of coordination
  • Avoid exercising dogs during the heat of the day. Walk your dog in the morning and late in the evening to avoid any risk of overheating or burning paws.
  • If a heat-related condition is suspected, animals should be taken to a cool place and given water to drink while they seek advice. If possible, cool (not cold) water should be poured over the body.
  • Make sure flea and tick treatments are up to date – pests love warmer weather!
  • Do not leave your dog in the car unsupervised, even in the shade. Heat can quickly reach unbearable levels in cars, even when the windows are open.

If you need further advice on this, contact one of our registered veterinary nurses.

Barbecues are also popular during the summer months and enjoyable for the whole family. However, we must be aware of the potential dangers to pets.

Top Tips for BBQ Safety:

  • Politely ask your guests not to feed your pets. Fatty hamburgers, sausages, etc. can cause digestive problems and more serious conditions such as pancreatitis.
  • Barbecue food gets very hot, so watch your pet closely. They might be tempted to jump up and grab a sausage or burger straight from the grill. They can also get injured from the barbecue itself.
  • Store waste in a secure container or move bags out of reach. This will prevent pets from eating leftovers or food spoiled in the sun.
  • Corn cobs can be particularly dangerous, especially when swallowed whole. They do not digest and can cause major problems that may require surgery to remove them.
  • Kebab skewers are a known danger at barbecues. If ingested, they can puncture the soft tissues of the body, requiring extensive surgery to safely remove them.

If you have further questions about hot weather or barbecue safety, call to speak with one of our registered veterinary nurses.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *