Vets issue urgent warning after dog swallows common vegetables that can kill pet dogs

After a beloved family dog ​​nearly died after stealing a classic barbecue vegetable, a Hull vet has issued an urgent warning to pet owners over the potentially deadly food.

Cocker Spaniel Roman stole the vegetable while he was in the kitchen of his home (Hull Daily Mail / Media MEN)

Sounding the alarm over the dangers of a vegetable, a Hull veterinary practice has issued an urgent warning to pet owners.

Vets have alerted dog owners after a family pet required life-saving surgery after eating corn on the cob. Roman Cocker Spaniel stole the vegetable from his home in Hull and ate it whole before anyone could stop him, dropping a emergency trip to Haven Vets.




X-ray scans revealed the corn cob was a solid object in the two-year-old’s stomach, which had to be removed during an operation. Corn on the cob is not toxic to dogs but it is indigestible and is likely to cause a blockage, preventing solids and liquids from flowing through the stomach, which could prove fatal.

LEARN MORE: Risks of flooding and strong winds: forecasters warn of an unstable week ahead

Hull veterinary practice warns dog owners of dangers of corn cobs (Hull Daily Mail / Media MEN)

Haven Vets is now warning owners to be extra vigilant when dogs are in the kitchen, near barbecues, picnics or near waste they could consume unseen and which could be fatal. Veterinarian Jordan Sinclair surgically removed the object by making a small incision in Roman’s stomach so she could carefully retrieve the spike before stitching up the wound.

Roman was closely monitored by the veterinary team for several hours before being sent home to rest. He has since returned to Haven Vets for check-ups and has made a full recovery.

Sinclair said: “Corn on the cob can cause choking in dogs or is very likely to cause a blockage as it passes through the stomach tract if they manage to swallow it. They will start to get sick and if they become lodged in the intestine it can cause parts of the intestine to die and affect the blood supply to those areas. There is a risk that the dog will become very ill or even die.

“Thankfully Roman’s owners acted very quickly, which is really important and has made it much more likely that he will make a full recovery. I urge dog owners to be very careful about what they eat at home and when They wander around. If you think they have swallowed something they shouldn’t, take them to the vet as soon as possible.

Roman’s owners, Danielle and Kevin Shaw, thanked Haven Vets for saving his life. Danielle said: “This is Roman’s first time doing this. He normally never chews anything in the house – he runs off with an occasional sock but always returns it. But he grabbed the corn and swallowed it in one go.

“I feared the worst. Luckily we live about two minutes from Haven Vets in Hull, and they have been great with him. We have taken him there since he was a puppy and I can’t thank them enough. We had to be strict with Roman while he was recovering to make sure he rested, but he’s completely fine now.

If you think your pet has eaten corn or any other unsafe food, Haven Vets has urged owners to contact their local veterinary practice immediately.

Join our new WhatsApp community! Click on this link to receive the latest news and headlines straight to your phone. We also provide members of our community with special offers, promotions and advertising from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check it out at any time. If you are curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *